ONC At HIMSS: Where Health Care and IT Meet
Peter Garrett | February 18, 2011
The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) will be hosting its 11th annual conference in Orlando, February 20 to 24, 2011. The HIMSS conference provides an opportunity for the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) to connect with almost 30,000 health information technology (health IT) professionals, health care executives, and providers. As in the past, ONC will participate in the conference and reach out to all stakeholders closely involved in developing and implementing health IT solutions for our nation’s health care providers.
ONC plans to build upon this year’s HIMSS theme – Linking People, Potential, and Progress – to discuss how innovation is leading the way to a higher quality, safer, and more efficient health care system enabled by health IT. Here are some of the events we will participate in at the conference:
- Dr. David Blumenthal, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, will share his thoughts about ONC’s strategic efforts to advance the rapid adoption and the meaningful use of health IT during the on February 23 at 8:30 a.m.
- U.S. Chief Technology Officer Aneesh Chopra will speak at the “” session on February 21 at 11:00 a.m. He will be joined by John Glaser, CEO, Health Services Business Unit, Siemens.
- ONC will participate in a series of Pre-Conference Symposia Events on February 20, including a (“Certification, Regulations, Certified Technology – A Discussion with ONC”) and a (“The Strategic Importance of Usability in Obtaining Meaningful Use”).
- The on February 22 at 2:15 p.m. will feature an interactive session with ONC’s Leadership Team to discuss current programs and efforts, as well as what’s to come in the advancement of the national health IT agenda.
- ONC will host Townhall Sessions, including:
- on February 21 at 9:45 a.m.
- on February 22 at 8:30 a.m.
- on February 22 at 9:45 a.m.
- on February 23 at 2:15 p.m.
- ONC will host a series of Education Sessions, including:
- on February 21 at 9:45 a.m.
- on February 22 at 1:00 p.m.
- on February 23 at 1:00 p.m.
- ONC and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will share exhibit space #706 in Exhibit Hall A. ONC staff members representing our programs and initiatives will be available for questions and discussions at the exhibit.
- At the , ONC and the Federal Health Architecture are hosting 36 presentations by organizations that illustrate how the Nationwide Health Information Network is enabling secure, electronic health information exchange across diverse providers and jurisdictions.
Additional details can be found on the of the HIMSS website.
The HIMSS conference is one of the many ways ONC collaborates with other government agencies, private industry, health care providers, and other stakeholders to transform our nation’s health care system toward the adoption and meaningful use of health IT.